Organic Cotton for Sustainability!
The resource of our planet is limited. That’s why the sustainable production is so important. Only products which fulfill the ecological and social standards can bear a seal of GOTS or IVN.
GOTS – GLOBAL ORGANIC TEXTILE STANDARD
What does GOTS stand for?
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is recognised as the leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers worldwide. It defines high level environmental criteria along the entire supply chain of organic textiles and requires compliance with social criteria as well. This means a constant monitoring of the whole supply chain and independent certification of the quality.
What is the aim of GOTS?
The aim of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is to define requirements of sustainable production of textiles. From harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labeling of the finished prodcuts. The GOTS seal should provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
Which criteria must be fulfilled?
The following key categories cover the global standard of the textile supply chain:
- Manufacturing operation
Only textile products that contain a minimum of 70& organic fibres can become GOTS certified under the criteria mentioned above. Among them are products such as yarns, clothing, fabrics and other home textiles.
The nationally and internationally approved organic cultivation standard must be fulfilled in the first place. A textile product carrying the GOTS label grade ‘organic’ must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic fibers whereas a product with the label grade ‘made with X% organic fibers’ must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibers.
- At all stages through the processing, organic fibre products must be separated from conventional fibre products and must be clearly identified
- All chemical inputs must be evaluated and meet basic requirements on toxicity and biodegradability/eliminability
- Bleaches must be based on oxygen (no chlorine bleaching)
- Azo dyes are prohibited
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods are prohibited
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimise waste and discharges
Moreover, a set of minimum social criteria must be fulfilled. For example, safe and hygienic work conditions, minimum wage, ban on children labour, regular employment, and ban on inhumane treatment and excessive working hours.learn more »
NATURTEXTIL IVN certified BEST
The acronym IVN stands for Internationaler Verband der Naturtextilwirtschaft e. V, which is an association of over 100 companies from all the fields of leather- and textile industry who advocate ecology and social accountability of the whole production chain.
You as customer wish more assurance and sustainability when buying clothes and shoes? Products certified with IVN-Best seals for sustainability meet very high standards – even higher than those of GOST standards:
- 100% natural fibers. Synthetic fibres such as elastic, poly-acrylics or rayon may only be permitted for some ingredients and accessories
- Organic cultivation of fibers
- Species-appropriate animal husbandry
- No genetic manipulation
- Free from environmentally hazardous chemicals, also during further processing, bleaching and printing
- Water pollution control
- Strict guidelines for manufacturing the final garments using the materials
- Packaging and transport
- Consumer protection and tests on chemical residues in the finished product
- Energy and waste management
- Social responsibility, social standards and human rights
- Work safety
- Fair wages
- Quality parameters
- Especially strict regulation of harmful substances
These quality seals consider not only each aspects but also the sustainability of a product as a whole. The limit value of the hazardous materials stricter than the European law, the social standards are based on the International Labour Organisation and the environmental parameters are stricter than most environment seals.
Once a year, the companies are monitored and certified by independent, state-accredited institutes. It is ensured that all requirements of each standard are fulfilled to bear the seals.learn more »